The south and south-west
The music producer Brian Eno is the festival’s guest artistic director this year, as more than three weeks of cultural events get under way. Highlights range from Eno’s own improvisational musical work, This is Pure Scenius, through to processions, pyrotechnics, world theatre premieres and recitals of Rachmaninov.
- May 1-23; various locations, Brighton, Sussex; www.brightonfestival.org; ticket prices vary
Viking attack in Dorset
The air will be thick with battle cries around the ruins of Corfe Castle this weekend with
re-enactments of military clashes and Saxon village life on this beautiful stretch of the Dorset coastline.
- May 1-3; Corfe Castle, Dorset; www.nationaltrust.org.uk; adult £6.20, child £3.10
- See a selected list of events and activities on National Trust properties
Jazz and blues in Plymouth
Kicking off four months of summer festivals in Plymouth, this jazz and blues festival has gigs – some free of charge – around the Barbican, the town’s historic quayside quarter.
- May 1-9; Plymouth, Devon; www.barbicanjazzandbluesfestival.com; admission fees vary
The Lost Gardens of Heligan
There will be a spring celebration with artistic workshops, wildlife activities, demonstrations and music throughout the gardens. Live Jazz will play on Flora’s Green, where visitors can also try their hand at Willow Weaving, face painting and paper bunting making. Horse carriage rides will depart from the Green throughout the day, taking visitors on a 15 minute ride through the pastures of the Wider Estate where demonstrations of woodturning, hazel weaving, flock care and charcoal burning will be taking place, as well as a behind the scenes tour of Heligan’s pioneering Wildlife Project.
- May 3; Cornwall; www.heligan.com; adults £10, children £6
In the picturesque Devon fishing port, the Brixham Pirate and Shanty Festival takes place, where a world record attempt for the number of people dressed as pirates will occur.
- April 30 - May 3; Brixham, Devon; www.brixhampiratefestival.co.uk
The Ironbridge Gorge Walking Festival
Over 20 guided walks, including some challenging full day outings in and around the glorious Ironbridge Gorge World Heritage Site. All walks are free but pre-booking is strongly recommended;
Spalding flower parade
Over 800 participants will take part in the 52nd Spalding Flower Parade (themed "Screen Heroes").
- May 1; Spalding, Lincolnshire; 01775 724843; www.flowerparade.org
London and the East
Walk with dinosaurs
Mingle with Tyrannosaurus rex (or, rather, a life-size animatronic replica) on Oxford Street as Dinosaurs Unleashed comes to a close on May 3.
Oxford Street, London
- www.dinosaursunleashed.co.uk; Adults £15.50, children (aged 4 to 14) £11 (not including booking fee)
High Tide Festival
Annual arts festival held in Halesworth, Suffolk, featuring local and international artists as well as a world premiere theatre productions, debates, talks, and films.
- May 3; www.hightide.org.uk
Feast of flowers
The renowned 70-acre gardens of Muncaster Castle are now coming into their own, in particular the spectacular azaleas and rhododendrons. Free guided walks are being held with the head gardener this long weekend, taking in some of the world’s rarest rhododendrons, which bloom in these grounds.
- Until May 3; Muncaster Castle, Cumbria; www.muncaster.co.uk; adult £8.50, child £6
More May Bank Holiday events can be found here
Dont forget that you can also book lots of last minute villas at Bargain Villas and save 33% with Interhome.
One of the most popular searches on Bargain Villas is Clermont in Florida. This destination seems to pop up in the top searches list pretty frequently and is pretty popular with the golfing crowd. Here are 3 great golf courses you must visit in Clermont.
Clerbrook Golf Club - Clermont Florida
The good news is that, with a par of 67, it's like getting a five-shot head start. The bad news is that there is only one dry hole; all the rest have water hazards. The course is built on rolling sand hills. The width of the fairways fluctuates. The two par-5s are approximately 480 yards long. The seven par-3s are a comfortable 150 to 165 yards. The par-4s are very short. This is a semi-private golf course. Soft spikes only.
Palisades Golf & Country Club - Clermont Florida
Palisades is a quality golf course designed by Joe Lee. It runs over the rugged hilly terrain of central Florida. The fairways are narrow, the greens fast and sloping. You'll also find the standard Joe Lee array of sand traps, along with significant amount of water. The Black tees are far bigger challenges as compared to the more reasonable Gold tees. Also, beware of the trees ringing the fairways, as this is a semi-private golf course. Metal spikes are tolerated but not encouraged on these grounds.
King's Ridge Golf Club - Clermont Florida
King's Ridge is the work of Lloyd Clifton, designed in 1997. It is a rare flat central Florida layout. The fairways are generally open, although some holes on the back are lined with homes. The greens are big and sport a variety of slopes. There is a bit of water and a large number of sand traps. There are several very intriguing short holes. This is a semi-private golf course. Soft spikes only.
U.S. Rent A Car Releases Live Car Hire Search and Advanced Car Hire Reviews
www.usrentacar.co.uk has today unveiled its latest innovations, “live search” and their advanced supplier review service.
U.S. Rent A Car has become the first car hire company to offer a glance in to real time searches. Offering customers a dynamic way of researching and choose their next hire vehicle.
“Live Search”, located in the usrentacar.co.uk footer, displays to customers the latest searches made by renters, it includes the location, dates and car category selected.
Managing Director, Gavin Boswell stated “The live search option gives our customers the chance to see what other similar renters are hiring; it can also be used to show a friend or family member a quote instantly”.
U.S. Rent A Car.co.uk is still the only car hire USA broker to include supplier reviews written by actual renters. U.S. Rent A Car now includes over 10,000 individual reviews within their search results.
One of the most popular searches on Bargain Villas is Clermont in Florida. This destination seems to pop up in the top searches list pretty frequently but if you haven’t been there before…what exactly is there to do? Apart from the gorgeous Florida sun, here are a few things to do while there.
Lakeridge Winery & Vineyards
Believe it or not, Florida actually does have vineyards that produce wines that have been winning awards in national and international competitions. One of those is right here in Central Florida, where a vineyard is tucked away in sleepy Clermont. In operation for more than a decade, Lakeridge Winery & Vineyards grows and sells award-winning red, white and blush wines. Daily tours explain the business of winemaking, and the winery also sponsors a number of wine-tasting events throughout the year.
Lake Louisa State Park
One of 13 lakes connected by the Palatlakaha River, Lake Louisa sits in a 4,000-plus-acre park that also contains the Green Swamp. The environment offers a variety of nature activities like swimming, hiking, bird-watching, picnicking, fishing and canoing. You can also take part in the nature-study events offered. Wildlife is abundant, so keep your eyes open during your travels. If you own a horse, you're welcome to bring it along; the park boasts a number of equestrian trails. Opens everyday at 8am.
Revolution - The Off Road Experience
Its the ultimate adrenaline rush for those always on the look out for adventures. Revolution The Off-Road Experience is where driving takes a back seat and the thrills are the front runners. Whiz past in a 4x4, or jump over rocky terrains in an ATV; whichever gives you the kicks, the combination of driving them all is simply a heady feeling altogether.
So thats the entertainment sorted all you need now is a place to stay. Why not grab yourself a cheap Clermont Florida holiday villa by searching Bargain Villas - here is a snippet of properties on offer
Even in a global recession Theme Parks seem to have done ok.
Here are the Top 20 United States theme parks for 2009:
1. Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom: 17.2 million +1.0%
2. Disneyland: 15.9 million +8.0%
3. Epcot: 11.0 million +0.5%
4. Disney’s Hollywood Studios: 9.7 million +1.0%
5. Disney’s Animal Kingdom: 9.6 million +0.5%
6. Disney’s California Adventure: 6.1 million +9.5%
7. SeaWorld Orlando: 5.8 million -6.8%
8. Universal Studios Florida: 5.4 million -12.0%
9. Islands of Adventure: 4.5 million -13.8%
10. Universal Studios Hollywood: 4.3 million -6.0%
11. SeaWorld San Diego: 4.2 million -12.6%
12. Busch Gardens Tampa: 4.1 million -12.3%
13. Knott’s Berry Farm: 3.3 million -6.5%
14. Canada’s Wonderland: 3.2 million -6.5%
15. Kings Island: 3.0 million -4.0%
16. Cedar Point : 2.9 million -8.0%
17. Busch Gardens Williamsburg: 2.9 million +3.7%
18. Hersheypark: 2.8 million -1.2%
19. Six Flags Great Adventure: 2.6 million -4.6%
20. Six Flags Magic Mountain: 2.5 million -2.5%
(tie) Six Flags Great America: 2.5 million -6.3%
And the Top 20 theme park worldwide:
1. Magic Kingdom
3. Tokyo Disneyland: 13.6 million -4.5%
4. Disneyland Paris: 12.7 million +0.4%
5. Tokyo DisneySea: 12 million -4.0%
7. Disney’s Hollywood Studios
8. Disney’s Animal Kingdom
9. Universal Studios Japan: 8.0 million -3.6%
10. Everland (South Korea): 6.2 million -6.5%
11. Disney’s California Adventure
12. SeaWorld Orlando
13. Universal Studios Florida
14. Ocean Park (Hong Kong): 4.8 million -4.6%
15. Nagashima Spa Land (Japan): 4.7 million +1.1%
16. Hong Kong Disneyland: 4.6 million +2.0%
17. Islands of Adventure
(tie) Yokohama Hakkeijima Spa Paradise: 4.5 million -0.7%
19. Universal Studios Hollywood
20. Lotte World (South Korea): 4.3 million +0.6%
Make sure you dont miss out on all the fun when you book your next villa holiday by saving some much needed cash for those theme park tickets when you book a cheap holiday villa with Bargain Villas.